Now more than 60 years old, Brule River Preservation, Inc. grew out of two earlier organizations. The Brule River Syndicate, Inc. was established in 1950 by a handful of Brule River property owners. They came together to purchase 381.5 acres of land that extend along the river from Wheaton’s to Lucius Lake with the intent of protecting it from sale and development. Brule River Forest Preserve, Inc. came into being 18 years later, in 1968, when the Syndicate was reorganized to become more involved in public affairs affecting the Brule, and to increase membership. In 1983 members relinquished their stock, and Brule River Preservation, Inc. was organized as the non-stock, non-profit corporation it is today.
Learn more through our Oral History Project.
Please visit our Honor wall in effort to remember those who have contributed to Brule River Preservation.